Log in

38 COMMODORES

 ..... 71 years of service


~1871 – HHYC originally established (eventually discontinued)

1930 – HHYC reorganized and incorporated


Stars racing in Henderson Harbor, probably late 20's or early 30's. Since the 1931 LYRA regatta was held in Henderson Harbor and had a Star fleet, this could be a picture from that regatta.





John Barnes left, with Ethel Celestia Smith Barnes (John's wife), and brother George, Courtesy of Corky Gray, ILCA Historian, from the Skaneateles Historical Society.



- John Barnes designs the HHYC burgee.

- Lime Barrel buoy installed.

- Became inactive during the depression

Commodores:

1947 - HHYC reestablished

Meeting at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Tomlinson September 1947. John Marsellus was elected commodore, but ultimately stepped down. Henry Rouse accepted the role of commodore for the first season.

Dues - $20/season
First budget = $668




Henry Rouse

(1947-1951)




Elva Rouse, Birt Tyler, Henry Rouse, circa 1948-9. Picture courtesy of John Treadwell.


Tyler's Pagoda, first club house

Rented by the club for the first few summers


Today

1951-1952

   

               


 E. A. "Skipper" Barnes 

(1951-1952)






    

                 "Themis", Skipper's yawl. Picture is an Averill family photo, courtesy of Tim Lake. 


E. Austin Barnes and Charles B. Cooper, friend of Skipper Barnes. Picture is a Marsellus family photo, courtesy of Tim Lake.





Skipper Barnes, Henry Rouse, circa 1948-9. Picture courtesy of John Treadwell.

~1952-1953

Purchase of Land

Van Duzer property (lower right corner) - site of current club ~$9000  .... 112 memberships






In the background is the Van Duzer cottage (left), and the Bopp cottage (right). In the foreground are Ann Hartshorn, Tommy Tomlinson and Bantam #15, c 1949. Picture courtesy of Tom Tomlinson.





1952-1954





Dr. Terry S. Montague

(1952-1954)



Lightning Fleet 225 Established at HHYC ('53)

179 Little Sodus Too    John Jones
708 .........................     Harold Ferguson
808   Northlight             Frank Bickford
1926 ........................    Jim Seymour
2918 Scatback              May Robinson
3417 Hiccup                  Ann Dulles
4252 Scamper              Sandra Hartshorn

1954-1956





Harold Ferguson

(1954-1956)




First hoist and slings purchased

1956-1957




Ralph D. Johnson

(1956-1957)




1957-1959




S. Brown Northrop Jr.

(1957-1959)




1959 - USSAILING Area B Junior Sears Cup Champions




Left to Right:

S. Brown Northrop*
Dick Bickford
Jack Jones*
Dick Ciliberti
Robert Gorman
Ralph D. Johnson*

*Former commodores



1960 - Construction of the current clubhouse

  • Cost~ $21,000
  • Funded through mortgage and pledges from members (bonds)
  • Dues increased from $25 to $50

1959-1961




Charles Dorchester
(1959-1961)





1960- Honorary MembershipPassed resolution to grant Honorary Life Membership to commodores once they reach the age of 65.

1961-1963




Andrew D. Studdiford

(1961-1963)




1963-1965




Dr. Irwin K. Stone

(1963-1965)




1960s - Construction of Main Pier

$7000 used for construction of the main pier and other waterfront repairs:

Pier was:

  • 100 feet long
  • 3 rows of pilings
  • Cedar deck
  • Gravel top

1965-1966





John E. Jones
(1965-1966)




Honorary Membership Passed resolution to grant Honorary Life Membership to commodores once they reach the age of 65.

1966-1968





David Joor
(1966-1968)




1968-1970





Dr. Richard S. Lee
(1968-1970)





1970-1972




Robert E. Parker

(1970-1972)



Robert Parker in 10707 "Vikingen"

1972-1974





Dr. Ross D. Jacobs
(1972-1974)




Seawall replaced - early '70s

1974-1976




William F. Chamberlain
(1974-1976)





1974 - Bar was constructed as an addition to the main clubhouse

1976-1977





Charles E. Bangs

(1976-1977)




1977-1978





John R. Northrop II
(1977-1978)



1978 - Sunroom was constructed as an addition to the clubhouse.


1978-1980




Dr. A. J. Schneider
(1978-1980)



Bylaws Revised
Reconfiguration of the HHYC Board to its current structure

1980-1982



Walter Shulkies
(1980-1982)




1982-1983



Frank Schwencke
(1982-1983)




1983-1985




Jack Jones
(1983-1985)



Henderson Harbor Water Sports Program (HHWSP)
HHWSP becomes a 501c3, providing sailing and swimming lessons for many children and adults.



1985-1987




William W. Poorman
(1985-1987)




1987-1989



Rick Stevens
(1987-1989)




Rick Stevens at the Lightning Triple Crown Regatta, 6/2/1973, HHYC. Picture courtesy of Dan Sanford.


1989-1991



Walter Harig
(1989-1991)




~1990 - Purchase of the Bopp Cottage



1991-1992



Nick Todisco
(1991-1992)




1992-1994




Marshall Reutlinger
(1992-1994)



1995 - Hospice Regatta
Jefferson County Hospice Regatta first held at HHYC.
White sails winner was Rosemary Reutlinger!

1994-1996



Thelma Schneider
(1994-1996)

(First Female Commodore)



1990s - Main pier renovations


1996-1998




Jon Regier
(1996-1998)




50th anniversary!

1998-2000




Steve Woiler
(1998-2000)




~2000 - Addition of the Leased Docks




“A” string

Dick Swift, John Irwin and helper






Bill Poorman, supervising

“B” string in the background




2000-2002




Lee Cagwin
(2000-2002)



2002-2004




David Martin

(2002-2004)


2004-2006




Matthew Klucznik
(2004-2006)



2006-2008




Barbara Weber
(2006-2008)



2008-2010





William Arnold
(2008-2010)



2010-2012




Arthur Bronstein
(2010-2012)



2012-2014





Phil Zell
(2012-2014)



2014 - New Hoist


2014-2016




Don Peters

(2014-2016)



2015-2016 New Docks



2016-2018



Corliss Kaiser
(2016-2018)



2018
(2018-)
Charlie Elve



Copyright 2018 Henderson Harbor Yacht Club
Henderson Harbor Yacht Club is a 501(c)7 non-profit organization. 1 Cornell Road, Henderson Harbor, NY 13651

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software